Bugatti (Ettore Bugatti, Molsheim, Bas-Rhim)
Competitive years: 1928-1938
Horsepower Range: 60-150
The mainstay of both Grand Prix and voiturette racing from 1924 to 1934, Bugatti offered a lot of race car for its growing number of clients. The SOHC 1496cc T37, introduced in 1927, was a T35 with four instead of eight cylinders and produced 60 hp; the T37A was supercharged and good for 90 hp. 209 Type 37s and 78 T37As were built and used both Rudge wire wheels and cast alloy Bugatti wheels.
The T37 and T37A filled the grids and won a lot of races. It was showing its age and by 1932 the new DOHC head from the T51 was adopted to a short stroked eight for the 1500cc class. In the hands of Pierre Veyron, the T51a was extremely successful between 1932 and 1934. The new Bugatti was driven by Mme Itier to good effect as well.
A new design was called for by 1935, but none was forthcoming from Molsheim, and the T51A fell behind the new cars from Maserati and ERA, although privateers continued to race all their Bugattis in voiturette events until the onset of WWII.